Tuesday, July 1, 2014

I'm Here Because of My Father

When I went to college I had no idea what I was going to do. I asked my father and he said go into business. So I went into the business school. When it came time to decide a major. I asked him again, and he said go into finance. Now remember this was the mid-80s, New Zealand was just embarking upon a significant liberalization of its economy and financial sectors, and the future looked very bright.

When I graduated at the end of '88 and went home New Zealand was caught in a massive deleveraging spiral triggered by the '87 crash. Somehow I got a job in the markets and all was well. I was learning so much about the markets (things they didn't teach you in school) and really enjoying a birds-eye view of that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment