Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Roger Hodgson & Supertramp

Came across a blog the other day talking about songs that make life worth living and the guy there referenced a couple of Dan Fogelberg songs and a bunch of Supertramp songs.

Now I love Supertramp and grew up listening to my brother listening to Supertramp (as he made tapes from Casey Kasem and the American Top 40 off the radio), but I have a hard time hearing lyrics and it is usually the sounds and choruses that I identify with. When I went back and revisited some of those songs, I was taken aback by their spiritual depth and philosophical speculations (from some so young), and it also provided greater perspective on their other songs. And so I looked up Supertramp on Wikipedia and that led me to Roger Hodgson and a desire to find out more about the guy behind many of the songs and the music.

A good time of personal introspection.

P.S. The songs mentioned were lessor known signatures: Fools Overture, Even in the Quietest Moments and Lord, Is it Mine (look 'em up on YouTube). I pretty much like most of Supertramps stuff and think Crime of the Century is one of the greatest albums ever (but I need to get Breakfast in America).

No comments:

Post a Comment