Saturday, July 11, 2015

The Systemic Mistakes Of Bias and How It Infuses A Process (Disposition Bias)

As a value oriented analyst I find that 'disposition bias' infusing my whole process.

Whether it is using a higher discount rate than appropriate, or discounting growth and margins more than is likely.

I have found myself over the years moving from a 12% discount rate (or expected rate of return) to a 10% discount rate to recently using an 8% discount rate.

I have found myself moving from a normalized PE of 18x down to 15x and contemplating moving it up to 18x. I use the normalized PE to base relative PE's off for each stock. 

As a value investor with the implicit cautious nature of that disposition, I tend to use growth rates and margins less than what is embedded by the current consensus.

I am sure the reverse goes for a growth oriented analyst. They are likely to use lower discount rates and higher growth rates and margins than what the current consensus has embedded into the price.

What does this all mean? It means (1) You need to know the bias of your analyst, and (2) You've got to compare your assumptions with the consensus.

Note: In a world where the current WACC or discount rate is probably somewhere around 5%, growth is king. If you use a normalized discount rate of 8%-10%, then current stock prices are not going to look so bueno. But if the game is played using a 5% discount rate, rightly or wrongly, shouldn't you get with the system and play the game the way it is currently being played? Ans. No. Because when the discount rate normalizes, then stock prices will be re-rated to a normalized discount rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment